Posting this to Twitter last week, Julie Butcher responded with questionable exclamations about the taste of a chocolate with spice in it. In response I told her I would post the recipe – this is the recipe. 😉
The base is a vegan Devil’s Food that came from the book Who You Callin’ Cupcake? by Michelle and Vinny Garcia from Bleeding Heart Bakery in Chicago. I cannot say enough about this book, the bakers and how much help they were through social media when I ran into some problems with a recipe. Not to mention the Elvis cupcake is crazy awesome. (End Plug)
- 1 and 1/3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ancho pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup HOT coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 and line cupcake pans with liners
- Place flour, sugar cocoa powder, baking soda, pepper and salt in a large bowl and mix with a whisk. (I mix in our Kitchenaid mixer.)
- In a small bowl combine the oil, vanilla and vinegar. Slowly add to the dry ingredients while whisking. Mix in the cup of hot coffee afterwards, still whisking.
- If there are still lumps either keep whisking or knead/mix it with your hands. With a bowl mixer, you can just keep mixing.
- With an ice cream scoop fill the cups about 3/4 full and then put in the oven for about 15 minutes. The tops will mound a bit and get cracks in them.